8.30.2010

Maison: Driftwood Design

A month ago my sweetie and I took a sea plane to San Juan Island to spend the weekend in Friday Harbor. We found ourselves on many of the islands beaches that were covered in driftwood. I wanted to bring every piece home with me. (trust me if I had a car, I would have!) 
photo by moi.
South Beach, San Juan Island


Im in awe by the way nature creates this natural and sun bleached beauty. It doesnt have to look beachy or cheesy and can add undone elegance and Je ne sais quai to your home  - inside and out.



photo by moi - driftwood bench- Friday Harbor 

My imagination took over on all of the ways I could use the wood in my home decor. As soon as I could get to my laptop I did some research and found that some of my favorite blogs are already on top of the trend! 

Apartment Therapy wrote a post on  a couple from California who used driftwood for a head board inspired by the bay they lived near. Driftwood+linen bedding=simple luxury at its finest! 
121109_triciaRoseMain3.jpg

Here are some ways to inspire you to use driftwood as an earthy element into your home:


1. Fashion a flat piece of driftwood for wall decor and paint inspirational words to live by - photo of my very own living space :) (see above bookshelf..I also want to make a ladder for said bookshelf out of driftwood!)
*also shamelessly tagging this very soon entered into the Selby+CB2 contest. 
photo3


2. Gather smaller pieces of driftwood twigs and fashion around a lamp base and tie off with a string like blogger Tim Neve of 'Go Behind the Scenes'















driftwood-rack.jpg
3. Find a decent sized piece of driftwood, make sure the back is flat (if not sand down) get a few screws and hooks, and you have yourself a DIY driftwood coat rack. 











And so much more! Actually too many uses for driftwood to list that this blog post would turn into a book (hmm brilliant idea!) 

 Please post photos or share the way you would use this natural beauty in and around your home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment