11.11.2010

Eat and Drink: M's Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried green tomatoes are a staple in the southern diet, and they are now a staple in mine! This was my first attempt at making this delicious sultry side. I found a recipe online and edited to make it my own (a tad healthier and tastier in my opinion!). I had the green tomatoes conveniently from my garden and a perfect occasion - Wednesday Girls Night - where we cook - based on a theme - which just happened to be "Southern Food". Hope you try this recipe - it truly was a mouth watering surprise!

Ingredients:
  • 4 green tomatoes (or red ones, but make sure they aren't overripe or they will be mushy) 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk!)
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I made homemade and will post the recipe below)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • dash of rep pepper flake
  • oil for frying (I used grapeseed oil, you can use olive or vegetable oil depending on health consciousness)
  • fresh or canned corn
  • 2 fresh jalapenos (seeded and chopped)
  • Chalula (I use Garlic Chili - regular will work)
Spicy Corn Salsa
Directions:
  1. pour corn into food processor or blender
  2. add jalepeno
  3. add sauce (like 6 shakes)
  4. pulse until finely chopped
  5. set aside and start tomatoes
M's Fried Green Tomatoes
Directions:
  1. slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick pieces 
  2. whisk eggs and milk in separate bowl
  3. add flour to separate bowl
  4. add bread crumbs to separate bowl
  5. heat in large skillet oil - deep enough to cover tomatoes to fry. splash a little water - if it dances - oil is hot enough
  6. dip tomatoes in flour, then breadcrumbs covering both surfaces 
7. arrange tomatoes in skillet 
       8. fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brow
M's Bread Crumbs
Directions:
  1. tear up a loaf of day old french, sour, any type of bread.
  2. bake, or to speed up the process, broil for 5-7 minutes (watch so they dont actually cook, but lightly toast)
  3. add pieces of toasted bread to food processor with 2 tsp of sea salt, dash of red pepper flake, garlic powder, fresh herbs (I added rosemary and oregano - what I had fresh from my herb garden) you can add whatever you want to this actually!
  4. add bread in batches to food processer until finely chopped



No comments:

Post a Comment