11.02.2010

Eat and Drink: Winter Pesto Chicken



Try my version of "Winter Pesto" making small substitutes that change the flavor and texture to make it seasonally relevant! I used chicken as my protein, but would be equally delicious with fish, scallops, or shrimp. 

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves or already chopped basil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup pecans. I get the sweet & spicy from Trader Joes
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • course sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • dash of red pepper flake
  • cup of goat cheese - I prefer chevre or manchego
  • 4 chicken breasts - sliced
  • Brown Rice Pasta (or whatever pasta you prefer, trying to keep it healthy!)

Directions:

1. Combine the basil, garlic, red pepper flake and pecans in a food processer and pulse until chopped.
2. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and pulse until smooth. Add remaining oil if eating right away. 
3. Add dash of course sea salt and let sit while cooking chicken and boiling noodles





Preparation:
1. toss winter pesto with brown rice noodles and cooked chicken
2. add to bowl and top with dollops of chevre 
3. **optional - add fresh cherry tomato for garnish

2 comments:

  1. Sound yummy M! Will try this weekend! i am making your spicy squash soup now but with butternut. Where do you get truffle oil? I am sending two good recipe since I just wrote them out for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the truffle oil at Met Market here, but if you click link in the soup recipe - it will take you to Amazon.com where you can order my preferred brand. Or take a nice quick trip to Italia! :)

    ReplyDelete